Eyes on the NYPD
9.29.2011 2 Comments
Probably the biggest accomplishment of the Occupy Wall Street movement to date has not been the light these courageous and indomitable young activists have shined on the gangsters of Wall Street, as important as that has been. Rather it has been how they have exposed the police of the nation’s financial capital as the centurions of the ruling class, and not the gauzy “people’s heroes” that they have been posing as since some of their number, along with many more firefighters, nobly gave their lives trying to rescue people in the doomed World Trade Center towers on 9-11.
MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell, a member of the establishment, did his light-shedding part in this excellent piece:
As O’Donnell reminds his viewers, gratuitous and illegal police violence is common in America. For some Americans, the police officers they face in their lives are little more than armed thugs, authorized by the state to abuse them, protected by the legal system in which they serve. Lindorff, knowing this and knowing that the police have had an aura of legitimacy since the 9.11 attacks, closes his article by pointing out that:
Even the corporate media, which for days had tried to pretend nothing was happening in Lower Manhattan, have finally been forced to report on the despicable police abuse of these brave kids.
The farcical mythology of police as heroes in blue is over.
Sad to say for those good cops who are just trying to protect and serve, the pigs in their midst have shown the true nature of NYPD policing, and unless we start seeing good cops coming out and denouncing the violent and un-Constitutional behavior of their thuggish colleagues and especially their even more thuggish supervisors, it will be hard going forward, at least for this reporter, not to laugh when someone next refers to cops collectively as “heroes.”
- Police Are Not Charged With Assault And Battery Over Brutal Beatings at Occupy Wall-Street Protests- New York City (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)
- WATCH: Lawrence O’Donnell Slams NYPD Over Pepper Spray Attack (huffingtonpost.com)
- Lawrence O’Donnell’s Report On Officer’s Use Of Pepper Spray On Protestors Leads To Investigation (mediaite.com)
- Live Blog of #OccupyWallStreet: Day Thirteen, NY Transit Workers Union Executive Board Endorses (dissenter.firedoglake.com)
- MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell Covers Police Brutality at Occupy Wall Street (VIDEO) (blippitt.com)
- Occupy Wall Street protesters to focus on NYPD next (boingboing.net)
- Live Blog of #OccupyWallStreet: Day Twelve, Postal Workers Enjoy the Occupation’s Support (dissenter.firedoglake.com)
- MSNBC’s Lawrence O’Donnell rips ‘unprovoked police brutality’ at ‘Occupy Wall Street’ (kaystreet.wordpress.com)
- Some Revealing Views of OccupyWallStreet (stevebeckow.com)
- Live Blog of #OccupyWallStreet: Day Eleven, Union Interest is Increasing (dissenter.firedoglake.com)