The well-armed DHS
4.11.2012 1 Comment
The Department of Homeland Security, another dubious post-9.11 artifact, recently ordered 450 million rounds of .40 cal. hollow-point bullets from the defense contractor ATK. The quantity ordered is massive when compared to the current population of the United States (estimated to be 309M as of 2010), and immediately raises questions about the purposes to which this ammunition will be put.
The quality of the item purchased is also questionable because these bullets serve only one purpose: To efficiently kill human beings. Because this kind of bullet is so destructive and deadly, the Hague Conventions of 1899 banned its use in international war.
First of all, why does the DHS need so much deadly ammo? Are they anticipating a mass surge over the Mexican or Canadian border that would require ICE agents to slaughter the masses “yearning to breathe free”? Are there so many terror cells in America that they feel they need to be ready for a mass extermination campaign? Or are they worried that eventually the quiescent and submissive US population will finally decide it’s had it with the crooked banks and insurance companies, and are going to start taking the law into their own hands, so that the government will have to institute martial law and start gunning down masses of citizens?
If not any of the above, it seems to me that the order for 450 million rounds of ammunition, hollow-point or not, is pretty wildly excessive.
But secondly, I’d suggest we need to rethink this domestic obsession with killing. In the U.K., police are not routinely issued hollow-point rounds. Many other foreign police agencies also do not use them. Here in the US though, they are standard-issue for cops on the beat.
Finally, when it comes to Homeland Security, the situation is really different [than the kind of situations faced by most law enforcement officers]. Most of the gun-toting officers working for Homeland Security are not in the business of chasing down vicious killers. They are ICE officers who are going after border crossers, TSA personnel who are patting down air travelers, and the Federal Protective Service, who are really glorified building guards tasked with protecting federal property.
The work these armed personnel do can on occasion be dangerous, I’ll grant, but for the most part their work does not require killing people or dodging bullets. Do we really want them shooting to kill with hollow-point bullets?
The DHS has yet to publicly defend its purchase of this product. While its silence is unsurprising in the current political situation — which is defined by excessive governmental secrecy, global war-making, expansion of the security-surveillance apparatus, prosecution of whistleblowers, erosion of civil and political rights, suppression of popular dissent, etc. — it is disturbing in its own right, for a federal agency quietly and unnecessarily arming itself to the teeth provides just another data point among many which shows the United States abandoning the rule of law, a modern public sphere and a modern civil society.
Is it too soon to identify the government of the United States as a terrorist state?
- | Duhhs: DHS won’t explain its order of 450 million hollow point bullets! (truthaholics.wordpress.com)
- DHS won’t explain its order of 450 million hollow point bullets (alethonews.wordpress.com)
- Why Does The Department Of Homeland Security Need 450 MILLION Hollow Point Bullets? (genomega1.wordpress.com)
- Prison Planet.com ” Why Does The Department Of Homeland Security Need 450 MILLION Hollow Point Bullets? (gunnyg.wordpress.com)
- After Huge Ammo Buy, DHS Purchases Bullet Resistant Booths: Federal agency preparing to unveil more checkpoints (destructionist.wordpress.com)
- Homeland Security Buys 450 MILLION New Hollow-Point Bullets (blippitt.com)
- Why Does The Department Of Homeland Security Need 450 MILLION Hollow Point Bullets? (destructionist.wordpress.com)
- Why Does The Department Of Homeland Security Need 450 MILLION Hollow Point Bullets? (mountainrepublic.net)
- Is Someone Expecting Insurrection (tarpon.wordpress.com)
- DHS Just Order 450 Million Rounds of Ammo ! (disclose.tv)