3.10.2011 Leave a comment
Once Wisconsin’s Republican Senators made hash out of parliamentary procedure to cleave the union-busting component of Scott Walker’s Budget Repair Bill, it seems as though the Wisconsin GOP had triumphed over their partisan and popular adversaries. The Senators even included no-strike by public employee measures in the new bill. Their will and that of Governor Walker appeared firm as police — but not the Wisconsin National Guard! — began to remove protesters from the antechamber to the Assembly while permitting entry into the Capitol Building through an entrance that included weapons screening. Despite their having to face this repression, the demonstrators refused to yield. The New York Times now reports that:
As thousands of demonstrators converged on the Capitol, the police cut off access to the building on Thursday, creating a taut atmosphere in which Republican State Assembly members were seeking to maintain order long enough to vote on a bill that sharply curtails bargaining rights for government workers.
The State Assembly had been scheduled to vote on the bill Thursday morning. Though it is virtually certain to pass, it was now unclear when that vote might take place.
So, the protest campaign continues. Meanwhile, the demonstrators, their supporters and their opponents can only wait for the appearance of the legal challenges to this bill, challenges which will come soon enough.
Wisconsin’s State Assembly finished its nasty chore and passed the anti-union bill 53-42. Rep. Robin Vos, R-Rochester, expressed well the absurdity of the moment when he claimed: “‘It will show to people in Wisconsin and throughout the country that we are not afraid to make hard decisions’.” Let us hope that over the coming months that members of the Wisconsin GOP will have many occasions to display their brave nature.
Cross-posted at FireDogLake
- Wisconsin GOP Using Parliamentary Procedure to Push Through Anti-Union Bill (slog.thestranger.com)
- Procedural ploy lets Wisconsin finesse union (geneveith.com)
- Wisconsin Capitol Locked Down, Jesse Jackson Turned Away (riehlworldview.com)
- Wisconsin- Call The National Guard Out On These Bolshevik Thugs (truebluenz.wordpress.com)
- The Wisconsin union fight goes nuclear (salon.com)
- Wisconsin approves anti-union measure – USA Today (news.google.com)
- Outrage in Wisconsin: Thousands Flood Capitol After GOP Strips Public Workers of Bargaining Rights in Surprise Senate Vote (democracynow.org)
- Wisconsin union fight: Did Democrats get their just desserts? – Christian Science Monitor (news.google.com)
- End Run: Wisconsin GOP Strips Rights (blogs.abcnews.com)