American militants like Anwar al-Awlaki are placed on a kill or capture list by a secretive panel of senior government officials, which then informs the president of its decisions, according to officials.
There is no public record of the operations or decisions of the panel, which is a subset of the White House’s National Security Council, several current and former officials said. Neither is there any law establishing its existence or setting out the rules by which it is supposed to operate.
The role of the president in ordering or ratifying a decision to target a citizen is fuzzy. White House spokesman Tommy Vietor declined to discuss anything about the process.
- Secret panel can put Americans on “kill list’ (msnbc.msn.com)
- Secret U.S. panel can put citizens on ‘kill list’ (news.nationalpost.com)
- Glenn Greenwald, Ron Paul and Jeremy Scahill on Obama authorizing the assassination of Anwar al-Awlaki (dandelionsalad.wordpress.com)
- American Citizen Anwar al-Awlaki Assassinated in Yemen (news.firedoglake.com)
- Ron Paul Condemns Obama Admin For ‘Assassinating’ U.S. Born Anwar al-Awlaki (mediaite.com)
- American Assassination (aleksandreia.wordpress.com)
- Obama Is Going To Support A Millionaires Tax That’s Bigger Than The Buffett Rule (businessinsider.com)
- How Does the President Have the Right to Target for Killing a US Citizen? (abcnews.go.com)
- The Due-Process-Free Assassination of US Citizens is Now Reality (jhaines6.wordpress.com)
- New reality: US assassinates it own citizens with no due process (boingboing.net)