The IMF will receive a woman’s touch…
6.28.2011 Leave a comment
Christine Lagarde, currently the Minister for Economic Affairs, Finance and Industry in President Nicolas Sarkozy‘s center-right government, will soon become the first women to lead the International Monetary Fund. Her statement on her appointment:
“The Executive Board of the International Monetary Fund has just selected me to succeed Dominique Strauss-Kahn as Managing Director for a five-year term, starting on July 5. I am deeply honored by the trust placed in me by the Executive Board. I would like to thank the Fund’s global membership warmly for the broad-based support I have received. I would also like to express my respect and esteem for my colleague and friend, Agustín Carstens.
“The IMF has served its 187 member countries well during the global economic and financial crisis, transforming itself in many positive ways. I will make it my overriding goal that our institution continues to serve its entire membership with the same focus and the same spirit. As I have had the opportunity to say to the IMF Board during the selection process, the IMF must be relevant, responsive, effective, and legitimate, to achieve stronger and sustainable growth, macroeconomic stability, and a better future for all.”
As the person who has received the honor of replacing Dominique Strauss-Khan, Ms. Largarde has an opportunity to replenish the aura of an institution revered by everyone.
- IMF Press Release: IMF Executive Board Selects Christine Lagarde as Managing Director (currencynewshound.wordpress.com)
- U.S. backs Largarde for IMFs top job (theglobeandmail.com)
- AP: IMF could pick Lagarde as chief as soon as Tuesday (currencynewshound.wordpress.com)
- Lagarde Confirmed As Head Of IMF (news.sky.com)
- Christine Lagarde on IMF shortlist to replace Dominique Strauss-Kahn – Telegraph.co.uk (news.google.com)
- Canada, Australia Support Carstens’ IMF Bid (socyberty.com)
- Canada’s warning shot to France via the IMF (macleans.ca)
- IMF could pick Lagarde as chief as soon as Tuesday (ctv.ca)
- Lagarde to be named IMF head (cbc.ca)
- Christine Lagarde on IMF shortlist to replace Dominique Strauss-Kahn (telegraph.co.uk)