Some strong words for Israel
7.6.2011 2 Comments
The reports that two of the foreign flagged ships planning to be part of the ten vessel Freedom Flotilla II experienced similar forms of disabling sabotage creates strong circumstantial evidence of Israeli responsibility. It stretches the imagination to suppose that a sophisticated cutting of the propeller shafts of both ships is a coincidence with no involvement by Israel’s Mossad, long infamous for its overseas criminal acts in support of contested Israeli national interests. Recalling the lethal encounter in international waters with Freedom Flotilla I that took place on 31 May 2010, and the frantic diplomatic campaign by Tel Aviv to prevent this second challenge to the Gaza blockade by peace activists and humanitarian aid workers, such conduct by a state against this latest civil society initiative, if further validated by incriminating evidence, should be formally condemned as a form of ‘state terrorism’ or even as an act of war by a state against global civil society [emphasis added].
Falk concludes his article by stating what ought to be obvious to everyone but which propaganda work and physical intimidation want to render obscure:
Shining through the darkness of this experience of obstructing Flotilla II is the raw nerve of the illegitimacy of Israeli occupation policy. Neither the Flotilla movement nor the somewhat complementary BDS campaign are questioning the legitimacy of Israel as such, but they are challenging the unyielding and expansionist Zionist leadership that denies the fundamental rights of the Palestinian people living under occupation, but also the rights of the 5-7 million Palestinians living in refugee camps or in exile and the rights of the 1.5 million Palestinians that have been subject to a range of discriminations ever since the establishment of Israel in 1948. A just and sustainable peace for both peoples requires an acknowledgement and implementation of these rights. Such rights are truly inalienable, and do not lapse because of their long suppression. This is ultimately what the Flotilla II encounter is really about, and this is also why Israel finds it so dangerous.
- Greek tragedy for Gaza flotilla (americanmaccabee.wordpress.com)
- Flotilla fails at sea, succeeds on the airwaves (jta.org)
- Flying Over Apartheid (desertpeace.wordpress.com)
- Sabotaging Flotilla II: Waging War Against Civil Society (richardfalk.wordpress.com)
- Lovelace: ‘Democracy and Colonialism Cannot Walk Hand in Hand’ (indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com)
- Israel Accused Of ‘Pink-Washing’ After Gay Video Exposed As Hoax (towleroad.com)
- Latest Reports and Photos From the Canadian Boat to Gaza (desertpeace.wordpress.com)
- Israel Army Releases Photographic Proof of Flotilla ‘Threat to Israel’ (tipggita32.wordpress.com)
- Israel to secure airport ahead of flotilla activists’ arrival (ctv.ca)
- In the Final Analysis, Gaza Flotillas Have Made a Difference (desertpeace.wordpress.com)