Quote of the day
9.29.2011 Leave a comment
The very idea that one can effectively battle Wall Street’s corruption and control by working for the Democratic Party is absurd on its face: Wall Street’s favorite candidate in 2008 was Barack Obama, whose administration — led by a Wall Street White House Chief of Staff and Wall-Street-subservient Treasury Secretary and filled to the brim with Goldman Sachs officials — is now working hard to protect bankers from meaningful accountability (and though he’s behind Wall Street’s own Mitt Romney in the Wall Street cash sweepstakes this year, Obama is still doing well); one of Wall Street’s most faithful servants is Chuck Schumer, the money man of the Democratic Party; and the second-ranking Senate Democrat acknowledged — when Democrats controlled the Congress — that the owners of Congress are bankers. There are individuals who impressively rail against the crony capitalism and corporatism that sustains Wall Street’s power, but they’re no match for the party apparatus that remains fully owned and controlled by it.
Greenwald, naturally, wanted to defend the protesters against the criticisms originating from the establishment media and, sadly, from the ‘progressive’ media. Channeling popular discontent into the Democratic Party and its common candidates is both self-defeating and demoralizing for those who hold dear radical goals and outcomes. If any President has made this problem clear that President would be Barack Obama. He got from the electorate a mandate for reform in 2008, but has since has squandered his political gift on reactionary economic policies and illegal war-making. To my mind, the path forward cannot waste itself on duopoly politicking. Common Americans must create the politics needed to address the problems they now confront, for, if not them, then who will make such a politics?
- Wall Street Politics (skydancingblog.com)
- Why Aren’t Media Outlets Taking #OccupyWallStreet Seriously? (reason.com)
- A Message From Occupied Wall Street (Day Eleven) (edmortimer.wordpress.com)
- Cornel West at ‘Occupy Wall Street’ protest: The elite will tremble (redantliberationarmy.wordpress.com)
- Occupy Wall Street Photos | Davids Camera Craft (nujijnl.wordpress.com)
- #OccupyWallStreet – Nobody can predict the moment of revolution, voices on YouTube (nextlevelofnews.com)
- MAKE Magazine Available at Occupy Wall Street Library (makezine.com)
- Liberals should join #OccupyWallStreet (americablog.com)
- Why ‘Occupy Wall Street’ Makes Sense (brandtstandard.com)
- Police Are Not Charged With Assault And Battery Over Brutal Beatings at Occupy Wall-Street Protests- New York City (newsworldwide.wordpress.com)