Worse than Jim Crow
10.8.2011 1 Comment
Earlier this week, the state of Tennessee denied Dorothy Cooper, a 96 year-old African-American, the voter ID she is now required to produce in order to vote at her polling place — citing her inability to produce her marriage certificate. Cooper voted in every election but one since she became eligible to vote, including many elections during the Jim Crow Era.
Indeed, in an interview yesterday with MSNBC’s Al Sharpton, Cooper explained that Tennessee’s new voter suppression law did more to keep her from voting than anything she experienced during Jim Crow….
- 96-Year-Old Woman Denied Right To Vote (thepracticalvegetarian.wordpress.com)
- Total shock: Voter ID laws prevent people from voting (dailykos.com)
- Why did they abolish Jim crow laws (wiki.answers.com)
- Jim Crow 2.0 (cafehayek.com)
- 96-year-old Dorothy Cooper denied voter ID in Tennessee (100gf.wordpress.com)
- Photo ID Laws: Welcome Back, Jim Crow? (pajamasmedia.com)
- Oakland: Jim Crow laws or crime-fighting tactics? (sfgate.com)
- The new Jim Crow? (salon.com)
- Minority Vote Suppression: Ohio Republicans Pass Restrictive ‘Jim Crow’ Voter ID Law (therealwithdarylanddevon.wordpress.com)
- Greg Johnson: Voter ID requirement should be simple to understand (knoxnews.com)