Civil libertarians condemn the Oakland Police Department
10.28.2011 1 Comment
The larger reason for the condemnation:
The Oakland Police Department (OPD) flagrantly violated its own Crowd Management and Crowd Control Policy and foundational principles of international human rights law during its dispersal on Tuesday morning of peacefully assembled citizens at Occupy Oakland.
The precipitating cause: The OPD distinguished itself during a recent skirmish with Occupy Oakland activists when it critically wounded an Iraq War Veteran, Scott Olsen, by hitting him with a rubber bullet and then attacking those protesters while they were helping the stricken Olsen.
- Occupy Oakland – police under scrutiny live updates (guardian.co.uk)
- Is This Video Conclusive Evidence That The Oakland Police Department Used Stun Grenades On Protesters? (businessinsider.com)
- Occupy Oakland: Officials shift into damage control (mercurynews.com)
- The Oakland Police Department Is Tear-Gassing Occupy Oakland (slog.thestranger.com)
- Oakland Police Raid on Occupy Oakland Raises Serious Questions (euzicasa.wordpress.com)
- Scott Olsen, Iraq Veteran, Critically Injured at Occupy Oakland [Video] (inquisitr.com)
- Occupy Oakland Clashes With OPD- War Veteran Has Skull Fractured From Being Hit by Tear Gas Canister. Sign the Petition to Jean Quan for Justice!! (bayareabetty.wordpress.com)
- Scott Olsen (occupyblogosphere.wordpress.com)
- The Oakland police and #OccupyOakland. (emilylhauserinmyhead.wordpress.com)
- Oakland Police Raid on Occupy Oakland Raises Serious Questions (yubanet.com)