Re: The State of the Union
1.25.2012 1 Comment
There are so many nits to pick, foolish claims to debunk, neoliberal hooey to ridicule…. I shall limit myself to three points the President failed to address last night:
- Weakening the dollar
- Dismantling America’s empire
- Planned reindustrialization
A strong dollar cheapens the price of America’s imports. It also feeds Wall Street with foreign capital. It is, in other words, the chief reason the United States has a service economy dominated by the FIRE sector.
America’s empire absorbs capital and labor power, it wastes both on non-consumable goods, it drives the growth of the security-surveillance apparatus, it directly and indirectly undermines the Constitution and it creates political and military debacles which produce blowback. It must go as quickly as it can be safely dismantled.
Education and training will do Americans little good if they fail to find jobs which make use of their cultural capital. In fact, an educated and trained work force that fails to make good on its talents is one that wastes resources. To avoid wasting these resources, the United States ought to institute an industrial planning agency with the capital resources and legal means to develop an ecologically sound industrial sector. It makes no sense to demand a low rate of employment for a well-educated workforce when those workers will work at service sector jobs that pay little.
These reforms are radical with respect to the social system now in place. If achieved,they would decisively change the identity of that system. But they are not comprehensive and do not touch on so many related problems that would also need to be addressed. These include reforming the tax code, making it strongly progressive; developing public transportation; reforming the campaign-finance laws; etc. But the three points listed above would be one place to start.
- President Obama Delivers State of Disarray Address (thecollegeconservative.com)
- 2012 State of the Union Initiatives (continuumfi.wordpress.com)
- Missed It? Read the Highlights of Obama’s State of the Union Address (thebullmhs.com)
- The State of the Union: Our Real Social Wealth (blogher.com)
- Furniture maker lands coveted spot at State of the Union (money.cnn.com)
- Obama Talks Jobs, Economy In ‘State Of The Union’ (huffingtonpost.com)
- 2012 State Of The Union Address: Obama Declares Himself King (5440fight.com)
- YOU LIE MR.PRESIDENT: Fact Checking Obama State of the Union Speech (votingamerican.wordpress.com)
- Obama Invites 5 Clean Energy Guests to State of the Union (ecopolitology.org)