From the Stupid Rich White Oligarch file
9.6.2012 Leave a comment
The world’s richest woman, Australian mining tycoon Gina Rinehart, urged those “jealous” of the wealthy to “spend less time drinking” in a piece the government described as “insulting” on Thursday.
Rinehart, whose family iron ore prospecting fortune of Aus$29.2 billion (US$30.1 billion) also makes her Australia’s wealthiest person, hit out at those who she said were envious of the rich.
“There is no monopoly on becoming a millionaire,” she wrote in an industry magazine column.
“If you’re jealous of those with more money, don’t just sit there and complain. Do something to make more money yourself — spend less time drinking or smoking and socialising, and more time working.
“Become one of those people who work hard, invest and build, and at the same time create employment and opportunities for others.”
Rinehart blamed what she described as “socialist”, anti-business policies for the plight of Australia’s poor, urging the government to lower the minimum wage, as well as taxes, unless it wanted to end up like Greece.
To be sure, Reinhart inherited her wealth and her capacity to earn more than she received from her father.
- Aussies should drink less and work more, says richest woman Gina Rinehart (independent.co.uk)
- Australians should be willing to work for less than $2 a day – World’s richest woman Gina Rinehart (hangthebankers.com)
- Rinehart Decries Australian Costs With Africans Earning $2 a Day (bloomberg.com)
- Richest woman: Africans who work for $2 a day are an inspiration (ctvnews.ca)
- World’s richest woman says poor should have less fun, work harder (federaljack.com)
- World’s richest woman says those who are jealous of her wealth should ‘stop drinking, stop smoking and work harder’ (engineeringevil.com)
- World’s Richest Woman Slams Aussie Work Ethic (news.sky.com)
- Gina Rinehart, the World’s Richest Woman, Is Really Sick of How Jeal-Jeal the Working Poor Are [Gina Rinehart] (jezebel.com)
- World’s richest woman says poor should have less fun, work harder (refreshingnews99.blogspot.com)